Celebrating Failure

26A - Celebrating Failure


Last year, I took Micro in the fall, struggling to understand the material, (economics just isn’t my thing). I decided to drop the class, basically giving up because the work took more effort than I am used to. I took Macro the next semester and ended up failing that class. In high school, school came very easy to me, never having to study or work extra, but just getting by through the bare minimum.  I wasn’t putting in the effort and time it took to learn the modules, obviously resulting in a failing grade. This situation taught me multiple things. If I took the first class, with all motivation, and put in the work, I would have never failed the second class. If I didn’t get myself down about dropping the first class, I would’ve had the motivation to complete and put in full energy into this course. I think your mindset makes a huge difference on whether or not you will put forth what it takes to complete a task. After these incidents, I changed my mindset and study habits, allowing me to do tremendously better the next time I took the class. I don't think failure is necessarily a bad thing, just a minor setback. Failures are lessons in life, allowing you only to grow and become better.

Comments

  1. I love your approach to failure. It truly is a setback but it doesn't mean its a dead end. I believe we all have to be ok with failure as it is an essential part of life. Our lives are run but many people's failures in the past. I admire your perseverance and think it's great that you got back on it and competed the class. Failure is a part of learning and it is obvious that you took away crucial things from the first experience that set you up in a better position, the second time around. Thanks for sharing the failure and how you bounced back from the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing as upsetting as having to drop or fail a class- we pay so much for our education, and at UF, the understanding is that we all had to do fairly well in high school to get where we are now. I'm glad that you were able to retake these classes, pass them, and learn from your mistakes. Its essential that we get up when there is failure in our midst, essential that we keep going when it beats us down, and that we learn from it. I'm glad you were able to turn things around!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment