27A - Reading Reflection
27A- Reading Reflection
- In Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, Carol Dweck describes the difference between a growth mindset and a fixed mindset, explaining that people with fixed mindsets believe skill is everything and people with growth mindsets believe anything that is wanted can be achieved with the motivation and effort. Our mindset heavily influences our daily life, our moods, and our performance.
- This book gave great advice, all relating to ENT3003. In the beginning of this course, I skipped a few assignments, resulting in a poor grade and calling for extra effort to do every assignment after, making sure not to get a bad final grade. I could have shut down, stopped doing all of the work, and taken the F. However, with my mindset, I decided to turn around my “mood” and realize that nothing will get done unless I do it myself.
- I would have every activity member create a list of important times or incidents in their lives that resulted in them having a negative mindset or an event that changed their outlook on a specific situation. I would then ask them to list what they could have changed to their mindset, their surroundings, or their actions to have a different, more positive outcome.
- I found it interesting the steps into creating a positive mindset. Learning and reading play a large role and can help a person develop a growing mindset. The qualities of a fixed mindset are actually more common than you think. Including, feeling threatened by others, ignoring criticism, and giving up easily. I know several people with these qualities, making me really think, are these the best people to be surrounded with?
I'm glad you enjoyed your reading and learned so much from it! Your post made me evaluate my own tendencies and habits, and be a bit critical of how I've handled things in the past. I always tell myself that there is room to grow, and I love learning, but after certain points, I get lazy and adapt the fixed mindset that you mentioned. It is important to be mindful of what we can do to further our own success, rather than just passively waiting for things to happen to us.
ReplyDelete