Reading Reflection: The Art of Social Media

21A- Reading Reflection

“The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users”, by Guy Kawasaki, provides important advice on how to create a social media platform from the accounts you already have. Kawasaki argues the convenience social media has on marketing and the steps anyone can take to become an expert in building their business’s relationships. I think the book was a great read and had many significant points that would relate to ENT3003 or just becoming an entrepreneur in general. Kawasaki discusses professionalism, maintaining a tasteful opinion, and using as many platforms as possible. In ENT, elevator pitches, idea napkins, and finding/creating an avatar all can lead back to social media. You need to get your point across with the most meaning, least amount of words, and develop relationships and target customers. For an exercise, I would make a standard post with certain requirements, but let the students have full range to design it however they wish. Whoever gets the most likes/comments and follow backs wins. My biggest surprise from reading was when Kawasaki mentioned content curation. He described the disadvantages creating your own content has, aka not being able to get enough information out fast enough; thus, creating content from other people’s accounts. The key is to find high quality content on another page, summarize it, then post to your own account with your own flare on it. I guess I already knew this is something people do or have done, including myself, but I was surprised someone as respected as Guy Kawasaki was telling his readers to do this. I don’t think it is wrong, just unexpected.

Comments