Testing A Hypothesis

Picking An Opportunity:

Problem - Don't you hate when you walk all the way to the library to find not one seat available? Although we have fought for more space at each library, any solution would require more funding through the University of Florida; something that would be very hard to pass. I would suggest implementing an app that students could use to see how packed each library is.

The Who? University of Florida students
The What? Lacking the ability to see of any available seats in the library
The Why? Students are unable to see what seats/floors/libraries have availability, making it inconvenient for them while studying or completing homework in between classes. Most students are on a tight schedule, so providing this will allow students to plan our their day.


Testing the Hypothesis:

The app would allow students to check in when passing through any library, while also checking out, giving students who are using the app a very close estimate of how many students are in the library at that specific moment. This would allow students to chose which library to study at, depending on how crowded it is.

Would students check in? Would students find this app useful? Would anyone actually use it?

Interviews:


Bella Wolstenholme, SO
Q- How many times do you go to the library a week?
A- I average around 3-4 times a week

Q- Which library do you spend most of your studying?
A- Library West

Q- If asked, would you check in/check out each time you enter/exit the library?
A- I would probably forget if I am being honest, but if I was reminded I'm sure I wouldn't mind.

Q- Have you ever gone to the library and not been able to get a seat?
A- Yes actually, when final season comes around I have to walk around for a table for 15 minutes.

Q- (After explaining the app) Would this be something you would use?
A- If people actually used the app it would be super helpful.

Brooke Taylor, SO
Q- How many times do you go to the library a week?
A- 3 times I guess

Q- Which library do you spend most of your studying?
A- Library West

Q- If asked, would you check in/check out each time you enter/exit the library?
A- Yes

Q- Have you ever gone to the library and not been able to get a seat?
A- Normally I text my friends to see who has a table and come to them, I never have found a table on my own when I have really needed it

Q- (After explaining the app) Would this be something you would use?
A- Yeah


Jacklyn Potts, J
Q- How many times do you go to the library a week?
A- I go every day in between my classes.

Q- Which library do you spend most of your studying?
A- Library West, Marston, Law Lib, whichever is closest to my class

Q- If asked, would you check in/check out each time you enter/exit the library?
A- Yes

Q- Have you ever gone to the library and not been able to get a seat?
A- I normally go to the library alone, so finding a seat for myself is kinda easy.

Q- (After explaining the app) Would this be something you would use?
A- I think this app would be useful for people who study in groups, a singular seat is easy to come by.


Noor Robbana, F
Q- How many times do you go to the library a week?
A- 1-2 times a week

Q- Which library do you spend most of your studying?
A- Library West

Q- If asked, would you check in/check out each time you enter/exit the library?
A- Yes

Q- Have you ever gone to the library and not been able to get a seat?
A- Yes, that is normally why I don't go as often. It is harder to study when the library is crowded.

Q- (After explaining the app) Would this be something you would use?
A- Yes actually, I would go to whatever library had the least amount of people.


Nicole Poplewko
Q- How many times do you go to the library a week?
A- 4 times a week

Q- Which library do you spend most of your studying?
A- Library West and Marston

Q- If asked, would you check in/check out each time you enter/exit the library?
A- Probably not

Q- Have you ever gone to the library and not been able to get a seat?
A- Yes and it sucks :(

Q- (After explaining the app) Would this be something you would use?
A- I think it is a good idea if people actually checked in.


After conducting a few interviews, I've realized that this app would be useful to many students, however, only if students checked in. If UF created a check in service once you connect to the wifi so students don't have to go out of their way to do so, I think the app would be very beneficial.




Comments

  1. I personally am always at the library - and I think that your idea is a good one ESPECIALLY DURING WEEKS FOR MAJOR EXAMS, MIDTERMS, AND FINALS! However, I am mainly concerned that people won't check in all the time, thus making the system consumer managed and not always reliable, as it relies on people to keep up with it. However, I think that you could probably design some sort of app interface that connects from computers (like you said) when people connect to the WI-FI, or their location is asked to be updated (as a push notification, not another app), or if by logging into computers the UF libraries had a connection to the app to show what was being occupied and when. I think that your idea is really good though. I think many people would benefit from knowing occupancy in the libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a student who is basically living at the library, this application would be a big help, especially when I am on a tight schedule or during final and exam weeks. I think the check in/out system would only work if our location status was involved, that way we wouldn't have to manually check in/out. However, there is the issue that not everyone wants their location to be shared. This is definitely an area of focus for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment