13A Reading Reflection

Grinding It Out

  1. Ray Kroc, the brains behind the multi-millionaire fast food chain, Mcdonald’s. What surprised me the most was the beginning of his business career. Working two jobs and struggling to make ends meet, he found his love for sales while selling paper cups. I admired his persistence. He discovered a multi-mixing machine used for milkshakes. Unfortunately, being still signed under the paper cup company, the company owned part of his new discovery. This, however, did not stop him as he continued on, facing all adversity. This part of his life is what he called the grinding period, hence the title. I think I least admire his actual company. Although I think his company is extremely successful, I don’t agree with the company’s workplace or food standards. While selling his mixers, he met the Mcdonald’s brothers, convincing them to open a chain, thus starting his journey with McDonald’s.
  2. Ray Kroc was very good at knowing when to stop while selling a product. He took pride in his pitching skills and knew that his customers were wanting something straightforward. He took time to understand his customers’ needs and wants.
  3. The whole book was actually a surprise to me. I didn’t know there was a middle man making all of the decisions for the McDonald’s brothers.
  4. Did you think, while you were building the business, that McDonalds would be as big as it is now? If you could go back in time and create a business of your own, would you? If so, what?
  5. If I am being honest, I think the entrepreneur's idea of hard work is a lot stricter than mine. When he described his long weeks, working two jobs, only getting a few hours of sleep a night, I would’ve questioned if it was worth it. I think we both can agree that hard work will always pay off and is very well respected. However, I do think his standards are higher than mine.

Comments